Sunday, September 27, 2009

Full Discloosure and Another Think

About that Kindle (See "Me and My Kindle" below): I've been negligent. First it was the book club book that came only as real pages. Then it was the book my writer friend sent, which will take me a month to read. I wouldn't be surprised if my writer friend--who is, I am certain, appalled that I own such a device--has sent me the large hardback just to keep me in line. Fine. Just so you know, I guess I'm not all in. But I've made an expensive commitment and I fully intend to love and cherish my Kindle. I do.

Another Think about technology and the new age (See "The Big Scary Now" below): Ellen Goodman has a good article out today, a small portion of which mentions that people are learning to communicate over hand-held phones but not face-to-face. This is a problem. It's not only a problem because we need to learn the skill and value of eye contact. It's also just plain weird to see couples walking down the street, each with a phone to his/her ear, or to watch two kids IM each other while seated not four feet apart at a football game. Social skills and social graces may be going the way of the dodo bird. I don't miss the dodo, but I will miss being looked in the eyes by another human being if it comes to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment